Monday, August 08, 2005

Monday, Monday. Ba,da....ba, da,da,da.


--I had to go through one of those drive-thru pharmacies on Friday. It's very clear that most of the people who utilize these NEED medication. I had to wait TWENTY MINUTES for a transaction that took roughly 30 seconds. The people in front of me decided, after 20 minutes, that they had in fact gone to THE WRONG PHARMACY. When the young lady behind the counter told them that they did not have anything there waiting, they wanted to argue with her. "Check your damn machine" was screamed at least 3 times. When the employee asked them if they had perhaps called the wrong pharmacy, the people realized that they had in fact DRIVEN to the wrong pharmacy. The man muttered something that sounded like "Sorry" and drove off. This is why there is a waiting period to buy handguns.

--I went to dinner with the wife Friday night, and ordered iced tea. I made a special request to have no lemon or other fruit added to my beverage. I think this goes against some kind of restaurant service code, because when I received my drink, it had a big hunk 'o vegetation floating in it. Who decided that this was the acceptable garnish for iced tea? Did they have to go through a lot of trial and error before they got it right? "Tea and apple?" No. "Tea and tomato?" No. 'Tea and lemon?" That's the ticket!! Eccchhhh.

--After dinner, we went to Wal-Mart to pick up a gift for someone else's little booger picker. When I pulled into the parking lot, I was overwhelmed with the sight of wife beaters and women in shorts that were entirely too short and/or tight. I have heard stories about people that have to get a series of booster shots before they go overseas because they come into contact with people who may be carrying some strange, exotic disease. I actually asked my wife if all of my shots were up to date before venturing into the mullet-sporting crowd. Inside was complete pandemonium. Nothing can get between a woman with a limp and her unbelievable shopping savings!!!! After making our purchase, we fought our way outside and I actually had to suppress the urge to kiss the pavement (after all, a lot of the people who frequent Wal-Mart like a little "chew" once in a while; especially the aforementioned woman with a limp). Going to Wal-Mart is to me like base-jumping is to others. It really gets the adrenaline pumping, there's a heightened sense of danger, and death is always possible.

--Someone asked me the other day what I thought about the rampant use of steroids in baseball. I think I replied "I don't care, give 'em all steroids." While this was said in jest, the person mentioned something about the 'purity of baseball.' Let me tell you something about the purity of baseball. It's pure bullshit. There is nothing pure about the game anymore. The stolen base is all but lost. People can't bunt. Salaries are larger than the Gross National Product of some small Central American countries. Pitching in the Major Leagues is pathetic. In the 60's, if you had an ERA over three, you were mediocre at best. Now, the pitcher closest to three is the Cy Young winner. I love baseball. I always will. But the purity of the game is something that was lost a long time ago.

--Speaking of sports, I watched the movie Rudy over the weekend. I've seen it at least ten times, but I always cry at the end. That's right, I cried. You got a problem with that?

--Another movie I watched this weekend, Constantine, RAWWWKKKED! It's about a demon hunter, played by Keanu Reeves, who is trying to atone for his sins to avoid his fated trip to hell when he dies. The script was really good, and it had a couple of "What the fuck?" moments as well. Highly recommend.

--Finally, here are some links for your surfing enjoyment:

Ever wonder about the bra size of your favorite actress? This site tells you!

This site will tell you the song that was number one on the charts the day you were born.

Ever played the game '6 Degrees to Kevin Bacon'? This site lets you type in any actors name and connects them in 6 steps or less. I have yet to stump it, and I used some silent film stars. Good luck!


That'll do it for today. I think I'm gonna go have a nice tall glass of iced tea with a big wedge of cantaloupe in it. Have a good one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home